Sorry but I can’t remember who it is that does this survey, but I seen it on several blogs. Should have wrote it down! Anyway I have never tried this so thought I would and boy did it make my brain hurt trying to think…lol.
8th Annual End Of Year Survey – 2017 edition!!
Number Of Books You Read: 195 (five from completing my goodreads goal.)
Number of Re-Reads: 0
Genre You Read The Most From: Mystery/Crime
1. Best Book You Read In 2017?
I am going to put two books here because they stand out to me the most and I will give the reason why.
I am not a huge fantasy adventure person, but I really liked the sound of this one and I read it at the beginning of the year when I was having trouble finding something to read. I must have needed a genre change because I really enjoyed this one and it brought me out of a funk. 🙂
I love me a good cozy and I am a bit of a grinch at times, but this Christmas cozy to me was just so full of Christmas charm that I couldn’t help enjoying it and feeling a bit of Christmas spirit. It also makes you really hungry and just want to drink all sorts of cocoa! 🙂
Update: I am adding a 2018 books I just read since I read it in 2017 I figure it should count and I really liked it.
This was a really good historical mystery and I loved the characters Kat and Daniel. You can tell this author writes historical romances as it shines through but also has a great mystery. I will be keeping an eye out for the second one!
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
- The Last of August – I enjoyed the first one but this one had to much teenage whininess or something I just didn’t enjoy it at all and almost DNFed it. At the same time I am still kind of curious about the conclusion and might get the third one.
- The Sixth Victim – I love historical mysteries and this was was a Jack the Ripper type but it was boring, almost DNFed it a couple times too. 🙁
- River of Teeth – I think this is a case of I thought it was going to be a horror about hungry hippos, not a weird western where they use hippos to get around on instead of horses. It was a let down.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
Not my normal genre so I was pleasantly surprised that I really enjoyed it.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
Hmm, well I try not to be to pushy about books I read but I am sure I might have raved about how much I like a certain British Crime dram series a time or two. 🙂 Below is the first in the series.
5. Best series you started in 2017? Best Sequel of 2017? Best Series Ender of 2017?
- DI Nikki Galena – I started this series in January and I have listened to four this year and still have two more on my TBL pile. 🙂
- Veronica Speedwell – I loved the first one and the second one was just as good, can’t wait to read the next one!
- The Graveyard Queen – I loved this series and was so sad to see it end but I really did enjoy the ending.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2017?
I have a few: Joy Ellis, Erika Lewis, J.C. Eaton and I am sure there are a lot more. 🙂
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Tired of seeing this one yet. 🙂 Since I don’t normally read YA adventure fantasy types.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
9. Book You Read In 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Probably nothing because I just don’t really do much re-reading. There are to many first time reads to get too!
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017?
11. Most memorable character of 2017?
DI Nikki Galena (Crime on the Fens), Evil Peter Pan and Jamie (Lost Boys), Daniel (Death Below Stairs)
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2017?
I don’t read flowery books as I read mostly mysteries so don’t think I have an answer for this one.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2017?
Again, I read mostly mysteries and they were for the most part pretty good but not really thought-provoking or life changing. 🙂
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2017 to finally read?
That would be finishing book four and five of the Percy Jackson series. They were great so why did I wait so long!!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2017?
Maybe I should keep track of this sort of thing but I don’t so I don’t have anything for this. 🙁
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2017?
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
I just didn’t see that ending coming. 🙂
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
I didn’t read a lot of romances this year so I don’t really have an OTP in the sense that they are romantically paired, but I do like the partnership of Veronica and Stoker (Veronica Speedwell mysteries) and there are hints (and hopes) that they might get together eventually. 🙂 They do solve crimes well together!
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Wrexford and Sloane, though I kinda hope they might get to the romantic phase as the series progresses. 🙂
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2017 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
21. Best Book You Read In 2017 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Karen from Well Read Pirate Queen said this one was really really good and funny and I liked the sound of it so I got it and it was so much fun!!!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2017?
Stoker from the Veronica Speedwell series and Daniel from Death Below Stairs (swoon) 🙂
23. Best 2017 debut you read?
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Oh goodness that is like most of my cozies I read this year…lol.
Okay, I will stop…lol. 🙂
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2017?
I try to stay away from books that make me cry and I have racked my brain and can’t think of one. I am sure there might have been one that made me nearly cry I just can’t think of it. Most my books were mysteries and I don’t cry at mysteries…lol.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
No soul crushed here at least not this year. 🙂
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2017?
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
This one made me mad because I felt duped as I thought it was going to be a mystery and it was a historical romance. Nothing wrong with that but when I expect a certain genre because it says she is going to help solve a murder, well it makes me a bit mad.
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2017?
So I believe I found Emma from One Reader’s Thought at the beginning of the year. She loves crime novels so I am always adding to my TBR when I check out her reviews. 🙂
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2017?
I am going to pick my double review of Death in Advertising and 30 Second Death. I liked the first one so much I jumped right into the second one and just reviewed them both at the same time. 🙂
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
I would say my review of Goodbye Christopher Robin as I didn’t really have a lot of discussion/non-review things on the blog. I need to fix that. 🙂
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I help host this challenge but it’s a lot of fun and it happens twice a year and about the best event I know. 🙂
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2017?
Getting to read and review some great books. 🙂
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Going into a reading slump those are just awful and I started the year out with one but read a book that was out of my genre it got me going. I learned to quit reading a book that’s dragging me down because I don’t want to get in those slumps.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
It seems the memes I do have the most comments like Week in Review and Friday Memes. 🙂 Cat Got Your Cash review got 15 comments so that seems to be the largest review.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Any of my reviews as I work hard on them. 🙂
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
I found this one while I was looking for 2018 releases and it’s pretty cool. It’s called Reading Books Like A Boss.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Oh yes, I finished my Audiobook Challenge, Cloak and Dagger Challenge, New Releases Challenge and Cruisin the Cozies.
Looking Ahead for 2018
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2017 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2018?
OMG There are a lot of them, so let me think.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2018 (non-debut)?
3. 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018?
There is a trilogy ending but can’t say I am anticipating it but I will finish it and it’s the Charlotte Holmes series. A Case for Jamie comes out sometime this year.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2018?
I want to add more discussion post or non-bookish post.
6. A 2018 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable):
I really liked it!!!!
Wow, that is a might large survey but it was kind of fun and makes me realize how much I don’t remember about what I read throughout the year. 🙂